Saturday 17 March 2012

Happy St. Patty's Day!!

Even though I'm not Irish (at all!) I still love St. Patty's Day...actually, I love ANY holiday that you bake for! :)

I've seen these delightful little rainbow cupcakes all over Pinterest and blogs and knew they would be perfect for today! Check out this recipe from Disney's Family Fun, so I figured I'd give it a go while the Mister is away...which also means that I have all of these cupcakes to myself...eek!

The recipe called for a plain white cake mix (which I didn't have), but I did have a Funfetti mix on hand and I figured more colours would only make it more festive!  I also didn't have any eggs (double eek!). But I did/do have egg whites, so I just used that (3tbs & 2tps = 1 large egg). 


I mixed everything up, per the directions on the back of the box then divided up the batter into 6 different bowls. 


I added the dye to the bowls (ROY G BV...I didn't forget indigo, I just didn't have enough plastic bowls! :) ) 

I put just under a teaspoon of each colour in for each cupcake and I only got 18 cupcakes.  However, I think I could have added a little less of each colour and made it to the 18.  It was really helpful to have the colours lined up how you want to put them in and do all of one colour at once (it'll save you a TON of time!).  Seeing as I had empty spaces on the second tray, I spaced them apart and put water in the empty spots.  My mom always said this helps to prevent the empty ones from burning.



So, in the oven they went and I waited (rather impatiently, but it did give me time to do the dishes) for the end result...and needless to say, they were worth the wait!!! I let them cool and frosted the little lovelies with store-brand vanilla frosting.  They would also be fantastic with some homemade whipped cream on them! :)


Oh! If you're anything like me and get food colouring all over yourself...nail polish remove works a treat!:)

Happy St. Patty's Day! I hope there is a treat at the end of your rainbow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment